Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ahh, adventures at work!





Last Tuesday started out as an ordinary day. The usual smattering of court appearances, office appointments, and phone calls.

All that changed approximately 2:45 p.m.

I was on the phone with a client in my upstairs office and Mary was doing some filing in another office. Suddenly, I hear Mary yell, "Baaaaatttttttt....."

Great. A bat.

After making sure Mary was okay (she was fine - just a little spooked) I realized I still had my client on hold! I got back on the phone, all the time watching the bat fly laps back and forth in the hallway. I hurried to wrap up the phone call.

The bat kept up with the laps. It seemed like a small bat - as far as bats go. I don't remember seeing a bat flying that much at the office - at least not during the day. Whenever I've discovered one during the day, it's usually been up against a wall.

Small, but still a bat. And a moving one at that.

I wanted to try to trap it in an upstairs office, but it didn't stay put for long enough.

But I did.

For a few minutes.

But then I had to leave for a hearing.

Before I left, I called Brian, who was returning from court. I yelled into the phone, "THERE'S A BAT IN THE OFFICE!!!" (I'm sure there was a colorful word in that sentence somewhere).
After I hung up the phone, I thought to myself, what the heck can Brian do right now?

When I left for court, Mary was back in her office downstairs. I made sure the bat was "trapped" upstairs when I left. I arrived at court out of breath from all the excitement.

When I returned from court, I stuck my head in the door - we wouldn't have to worry about the bat anymore.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Ewww Bats, yuck!! If I sit in my back yard at night there are so many of them flying around. At least they eat all of the bugs which I hate worse than the bats!

Nicole Maki said...

Ugh! I hate bats!

Years ago my Dh and I used to go for early morning walks in San Diego. One morning at dawn we walked under a tree and a whole bunch of bats flew by. One touched my hair and hurt my scalp a bit. I was so freaked out we quit exercising all together. LOL.

Susan said...

Too funny! We had a bat in our bathroom once so my DH dressed up in his paint ball stuff (mask, gloves) to get it out.

Hugs,
Susan